If you’re looking for a ten minute craft activity that the kids can help with, then look no further. A simple pinecone garland is not only quick, easy and basically free to make, but it will provide some autumnal decorative loveliness to your home from Halloween through to Christmas.
Here’s how to make one:
1. Collect a variety of different sized pinecones
2. take a length of white thread or clear fishing twine and tie a loop at the end, to hang the garland from a hook.
3. Loop the thread around the centre of each pinecone, pulling it tight before looping the next cone. Leave a gap between each pine cone, but make the gaps uneven.
4. Cut a selection of sprigs of ivy – long enough to thread but short enough to fit between each gap.
5. Twirl the ivy around the thread.
6. Hang garland from a hook or nail on the wall, or display it along a mantelpiece.
You can add more colour and interest to your garland with sprigs of holly, mistletoe, berries and acorns. You could also paint PVA glue onto the tips of your pinecones and dip them in glitter, for some added festive bling come Christmas time.
If you liked this post check out our Pinterest board full of fun home craft ideas, where you’ll find plenty more inspiration. Or head to the Roost MAKES section where we have more beautiful home craft, upcycle and DIY projects.